Recently my skin had a majorrrr breakout and I had a good idea of why, so I wanted to share the 5 steps I took to clear my skin up! Breakouts are seriously the worst and I definitely think these 5 tips/tricks will help you out if you’re suffering with any kind of acne!
- Sugar (diet) – This one is huge! When my skin broke out really bad, I had just had two cheat days filled with refined sugar (oops!). Sugar makes the bacteria thrive allowing more breakouts to reoccur. I’ve noticed when I stay away from sugar, my skin clears up way faster!! If you’re craving something sweet, try having a bowl of fruit instead.
- Dirty Makeup Brushes – Okay, this one I am so guilty of. Makeup brushes need to be washed on a regular basis, (Rule of thumb: powder ones every week, and foundation brushes every few days.) I don’t know why it is so difficult for me to stay on top of this, haha! But seriously, as soon as my makeup brushes have hit the “way too dirty” point, my skin has an immediate breakout. It’s terrible! This was the first thing I did when trying to clear my skin up, I washed all my makeup brushes until the water ran clear. I use face wash on cheaper brushes, and rub it over my fingers. You can also use a regular bar of soap too! Just make sure it’s something anti-bacterial.
- Dehydration – Our skin is one of the ways our body rids itself of toxins, so when the other organs in our bodies are too full of toxins, our skin starts releasing them, causing acne. Drinking lots of water is a great way to flush out your system of all those yucky toxins we carry! Not having enough water can also cause you to crave sweet foods, which of course starts that vicious cycle of wanting sugar (aka pimples!)
- Forgetting to Exfoliate/Moisturize – Exfoliating is a great way to help your skin shed that top layer of dead skin cells. If you forget to exfoliate, that dead skin cell layer will build up, causing your skin to be less breathable. Moisturizing will be sure your skin isn’t getting to dry, which can cause the skin to overproduce oils to compensate for the dryness. The past few weeks, I’ve been using Tula’s exfoliate mask, and then their moisturizer afterwards. (I exfoliate twice a week, and moisturize each day and night.) Seriously, this stuff is the real deal. I can honestly say I have never used a product that’s left my skin so soft, and supple. I’m only 22, but I’m not kidding when I say these products make my skin look younger! I have a hard time putting makeup after I use these products because my skin just glows and looks so healthy and fresh! They are a little pricey, but soo worth it in my opinion.
^^Sidenote: This Burt’s Bees face wash is a current favorite of mine, it feels like the consistency of lotion and is super moisturizing but not oily! You can pick it up at almost anywhere! (I’d also love to try this one and this one)
- Stress – Stress can trigger acne, especially if you’re not releasing it in the proper way. Basically, when you’re under a lot of pressure, your skin releases stress hormones that can stimulate your oil glands that then increases oil production and clogs pores. A couple great ways to release stress that I personally do is working out regularly, and making sure you take time out for yourself when you need it. Even if it’s just going for a relaxing drive, or sitting in Starbucks for a while, make sure you’re taking the proper time out to de-fry your brain from all life’s tasks!
I reached out to Tula to see if I could get you guys a discount, and they were so kind to give my readers 25% off the entire order AND free shipping with the code “makenna25“!
Thanks for reading, and I hope these tips help any of you that are struggling with your skin! 🙂 Feel free to share this post with anyone who may benefit from these tips! 🙂